21 November 2009

GIVING THANKS

We're just days away from Turkey Day and I must begin to organize our contributions for the big event. We'll be celebrating at my mother-in-law's. I have the easy part--bringing the stuffing ingredients and whatever else I decide. I bring the stuffing, because CA did not grow up with a traditional favorite. In fact, his family didn't much care for it. However, he has grown to love GJ's recipe.

My kids love the strawberry pretzel salad (!) Tell me, please. How do people get away with calling these obvious desserts, salads? I mean, who are they fooling? Themselves? The ultimate misnomer is... Wait for it... The Snickers Bar Salad. While I'm including the recipe, it does not translate into a recommendation. Is it good? You be the judge. I never make this salad, but I have been known to have a scoop or two--just to be polite, you realize...

I think, as a rule of thumb, we can just decide that any recipe that includes Cool Whip® as a main ingredient cannot be referred to as a salad. I'm cool with that.

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4477379/274500blog-main_Full.jpg


SNICKERS® BAR SALAD

6 apples
2 c. marshmallows
6 SNICKERS® bars
1 container Cool Whip

Cut up apples and SNICKERS® bars; mix in marshmallows and Cool Whip.



STRAWBERRY PRETZEL JELLO SALAD

2 c. crushed pretzels
3/4 c. butter, melted
3 tbsp. sugar
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 c. sugar
1 (9 oz.) carton Cool Whip
1 (6 oz.) pkg. strawberry Jello
2 c. boiling water
2 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen strawberries

1. Mix crushed pretzels, melted butter, and 3 tablespoons sugar together. Press into a 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes. Cool.
2.Combine cream cheese, Cool Whip, and 1 cup sugar. Mix well and spread onto cooled crust.
3. Mix Jello with water, then add frozen strawberries. Stir until berries soften and Jello starts to thicken.
4. Gently pour or spread mixture over cream. Refrigerate.

GLORIA'S STUFFING
3 - 4 T. Butter
1 C Celery, chopped
1 C Onion, chopped
1 Can Cream of celery soup
1 Can Cream of chicken soup
1 Can Cream of mushroom soup
1 Envelope Onion soup mix
1/2 to 1 C Water or chicken broth
Giblets, diced [as desired]
Bread cubes, any variety plain or seasoned

1. Sauté celery and onion in butter until opaque.
2. Stir in soup mix and giblets.
3. Thoroughly mix in bread cubes.
4. Add additional water or broth, if desired.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, if baking separately.
6. Bake in greased pan for 30 to 60 minutes until top is crunchy.
7. Or, add stuffing to prepared bird.

No comments: