It's been awhile since I had this soup at Macaroni Grill, so I can't compare but everyone here enjoyed it for lunch today. I will revisit MG soon and figure out how to tweak this recipe a bit more.
adapted from Macaroni Grill
4 T Olive oil
1 cup Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
4 cups Chicken broth
2 cups Chicken breast, boneless and diced
2 cups Tomatoes, diced**
16 oz Tortellini or gnocchi
2 cups Half-n-half or milk
2 cups Fresh baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil, shredded
1. Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until onion becomes soft and transparent and garlic is golden. Be careful not to burn the garlic or it will taste bitter.
2. Add chicken broth. Turn up the heat and let it come to a boil.
3. After the broth is boiling, add the diced chicken, pasta, and chopped tomato.
4. Turn down the flame to simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the half-n-half or milk.
6. Add spinach last; stir until it wilts. Remove from heat
7. After serving the soup in individual bowls, top with grated Parmesan and basil.
** I use 14.5 oz. can of Hunts Fire-roasted tomatoes.