This is the first time that our entire family has been together in our home since LG was a baby. And, there are 4 additional grandchildren since that time. Starting with LG, they are 4-1/2, 2-3/4, 2, 10 months, and 11days.
It's crazy around here, but we're doing well. We even managed to prepare a meal tonight--Chili and Southern Corn Bread with honey. We make two pots--one spicey and one mild with some pasta added for the little ones.
We have almost three more full days together and there's sure to be lots of noise and confusion, but as MK said, with more complications comes more joy. I told her I thought we have just about as much joy as we can stand!
About this cornbread: It's the very, very best ever, but it's not Southern. No southern cook would use white cornmeal or probably honey as a topping. You will love it!
SOUTHERN CORN BREAD
1-1/2 cups Flour
1/2 cups White corn meal
3 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
1 cup Milk
1/4 cup Butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Coat an 8" x 8" pan with Pam or oil.
3. Combine all the dry ingredients together in mixing bowl.
4. Combine eggs, milk, and cooled melted butter.
5. Gently stir together until just mixed.
6. Pour mixture into baking pan.
7. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until toothpick inserted in bread
comes out clean.
8. As soon as bread is out of the oven, pour honey over the top.
3 T Butter or margarine
2 medium Onions, chopped
1 lb Ground beef
1 28/32 oz can Tomatoes [or 3 - 4 cups chopped fresh]
1 6 oz can Tomato paste
2 cloves Garlic, crushed and chopped
2 tsp Salt
2 - 3 T Chili Powder
1 16 oz can Chili Beans [Brooks, undrained]
1. Sauté garlic and onions.
2. Add ground beef and cook until just brown.
3. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, and salt.
4. Simmer for 45 minutes
5. Add beans and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.