This promises me summertime. Simply delicious, and I have the best lemonade recipe which begins with preparing a simple syrup.
OLD FASHIONED LEMONADE
- 1-1/2 C. Sugar
- 1-1/2 C. Water
- 1 T. Lemon zest
- 1-1/2 C. Freshly-squeezed Lemon juice (8 - 9 lemons)
- Garnish: Lemon slice and fresh herb sprigs
- Stir together sugar, water and lemon zest
- Heat mixture to a boil, stirring constantly
- Boil 5 minutes, stirring often
- Remove pan from heat and cool completely
- Stir in lemon juice
- Transfer to a lidded jar and refrigerate for up to 3weeks
- To use: Mix together 1/2 C. Lemon syrup muxture with 3/4 C. of water
- Garnish with lemon slices and fresh Mint or Basil sprigs
This is my current reality...
Ice Dams. Dripping ceilings in three rooms, wet walls, even wet bedroom carpet. Insurance claims. Demolision. Reconstruction.
Yet, I'm O.K. with it all. The insurance deductible is doable. Everything can be fixed. There's nothing we can do right now. We checked twice with our very professional insurance agent-friend. Just to be sure.
Maybe my perspective is better this time because of the tornado damage my sister's community has very recently experienced. Washington, Illinois is rebuilding. The spirit is dynamic. While I'm sure there are some discouraging, tragic stories, the neighborhood's and town's overall message is one of hope and dynamic recovery. Progress. Survival. Improvement.
This past weekend, we saw evidence of reconstruction. New rooftops, Tyvek-clad walls, beams and studs. Families are persevering and recovering. It's unimaginable to have experienced such instantaneous trauma and loss. Yet... The human spirit, as designed by our God and creator, is amazingly resilient.