Tonight I threw together a dinner. We're going out later and we've eaten out two nights running, plus I was out of town for three nights and ate out almost every meal... Here's what we cooked:
8 oz. Dry pasta, such as rotini
4 - 5 slices Thick-cut bacon
1/4 cup Sweet onion, diced
3 T. Butter
3 T. Flour
8 oz. Half-n-half
6 - 8 oz. Frozen peas
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Steam 6 - 8 oz. peas until tender crisp.
3. Cut bacon into 2" pieces; cook until crispy; drain well and set aside.
4. Pour off all but 1 T. of bacon fat; saute 1/4 cup diced onions in remaining fat.
5. Melt butter and add flour. Carefully stir until well blended and cook for a minute or two. Do not brown.
6. Gradually add half-n-half; stirring until sauce-like consistency--adding more if necessary.
7. Pour creamy sauce over well-drained pasta.
8. Mix in bacon and onions; Carefully stir in peas.
9. Season with salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg