14 October 2009

LOOKING FORWARD TO A GOOD READ


I've been reading a lot, still.
Nothing too notable, but another dip into Ian Rankin's CID John Rebus mysteries/procedural police fiction. That man can really create atmosphere along with character. He brings Edinburgh and the Scots to life. It helps having visited Scotland and Ediburgh just two years ago. What a gift--that visit adds context, vision, and interest to my reading. CA has been also reading Ian Rankin, but fewer and some different books than me.

I finished Exit Music last night, which is to be the last in the series. Rebus is almost 60 and retiring. There are many lose ends and one wonders, as does Rebus, what he can possibly do in retirement as he has almost no life outside of work. I will back up and read 3 or 4 from the series that I have missed.

But, today I started How to Buy a Love of Reading by Tanya Egan Gibson and I am very excited at the prospects so far. It's been a long time since I have been excited about a book.

We leave for Kaua'i on Sunday, and I am gathering my books for the trip. The list is pending...

Fun times with the little girls. We baked Pillsbury jack-o-lantern sugar cookies tonight, and LG helped me with errands today. She made her list... McDonald's, the Library, Target, haircut for grandma, grocery store, and the car wash. We ran out of time and energy before we got to either the car wash or the library, so I will take care of those on my own on Friday.

Tomorrow I am in charge of the two little girls from 7:00am until 2:00pm. Grandpa is teaching, and D+M are heading to Wheaton for meetings and lunch. I am predicting Charlie (or Cholley as LG declaims) Brown's Great Pumpkin and lots of snacks and puzzles. Maybe a game of Candyland or two.

JE and MA's house has a new roof, fresh paint, and new siding! Big deal stuff. JA and LE have had lots of noise and interruptions to their sleeping schedule, but tomorrow should be quieter. Such fun little ones. JA has recently decided that he needs to sit on LG's lap! He's 2-1/2 years and she's 7 months. Such fun.

LE and JA just before he sat on her lap!
Photo taken with iPhone.

No comments: