26 March 2009

BAKING ON THURSDAY

Baked in my lovely French tin pans. These are just a bit over 5"x5"

Ready to deliver.

Tomorrow is the BIG layoff at the not-for-profit where I worked for 7 years. About 40% of their staff, including my best friend. Times are very tough in the not-for-profit world as well as the marketplace.

So... I am baking carrot cake cupcakes with loads of cream-cheese icing, shortbread, and peanut-butter cup bars. The cupcakes are in honor of my friend's birthday--tough being let go on the day before your birthday, but she has perspective. The peanut-butter cup bars are for another friend who is very bitter at the demise of her job. She is not at an age where she had ever planned to be interviewing for a new position. And, it has been painful watching the slow-down and constant revamping of an organization determined to change and survive. The cuts are deep.

The shortbread is for my temp agency. They have asked me to stop by to pick up a transcription job that is due Monday. I agreed to bail them out as I have no formalized plans this weekend since I was away from home and out-of-town for more than two weeks. CA is leaving tomorrow afternoon to visit his mom in Central Illinois as his sister is visiting from New Orleans. So, I am free as a bird and figure working all weekend is better than shopping all weekend.

I love being at home. I need about 3 days at home for every day I am away. Dream on... Anyway, when I first interviewed with the agencies I sent a cookie gift as a follow-up and thank you. Big hit! They always remember me, and it is about time to reinforce the connection. Shortbread is always a hit. And, I have the very best recipe from Cuisine magazine back in the early 1980s. YUM!

I was thinking about going into Chicago tomorrow anyway, as my sister is visiting my niece's family including the infamous Sophie! She is a curly-haired minx who is always thinking and has a ready smile for everyone. Her worldview is just too precious. Almost four is one of the best ages.

CA has agreed to deliver the cupcakes and I will head out mid-morning. Maybe to spend the night, but most likely I will drive home late.

Just realized I have never published this recipe, so here goes.


SHORTBREAD
[adapted from Cuisine Magazine, December 1983]
8 oz Butter, lightly salted
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 Cups Flour


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Bring butter to room temperature.
3. Whisk dry ingredients together; add butter.
4. Gently mix all ingredients with your hands until forms a ball.
(If you use a processor, do not over-mix)
5. Knead gently until smooth and soft, never oily.
6. Press dough into an 8" x 8" pan.
I love the Calphalon pan as its sides are very square.
7. Chill for at least one hour.
8. With a fork, press tines into cookie dough 8 or 9 times to vent.
9. Bake 40 - 45 minutes or until edges are golden.

The darker the color, the more caramelized the shortbread tastes.
10. Cool for 10 - 15 minutes and cut into square or rectangles.

11. Press tines of fork once into center of each cookie, on the diagonal.

NOTE: I use a pastry scraper to cut the shortbread as it gives a clean cut.

No comments: