05 March 2009

WORKING


The agency keeps sending me back to the same organization. The location is great and the people very nice, but the pay is mediocre. The work is consistent--lower level than I prefer--but they pay me and so I continue...

I started writing an article about the changing job description of the executive assistant. Most of the women I have met in these roles are under-utilized. Their challenges involve travel arrangements and expense reconciliation. Meeting accounting/credit card deadlines are what motivates. There is lots of time for personal phone calls and Internet browsing.

Every one of the financial institutions I have temped in have new college grads in the finance and accounting field to do their Internet research and spreadsheets--the types of projects that have always made my work more interesting. These newbies are expected to work 60 - 80 hour weeks, and in some cases 7 days a week for the 2 or so years they have to prove their stuff.

I am most interested in observing and gathering insights as to the future of the executive assistant role.

After the new grandbaby is born and I am available for a longer-term assignment I am going to negotiate for a better position and pay. With the current economy I may be forced to settle for just working rather than being challenged.

No comments: