27 March 2009

LACKING SLEEP

Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche
I know this looks like a pre-made pie shell, but it is not!

Yuk! Why is it that, although my insomnia is infrequent, I always lie awake on nights when I need sleep the most? I was exhausted last night--all that baking. I crawled from my bed to the big chair in our library around 2:00am, heard the clock strike 2:30, and then wide awake at 4:00am. Dozed a bit and got up at 5:00am. Boring, I know.

I cut the peanut butter bars and packaged the shortbread. Decided to bake a quiche because we saved a bit of asparagus and some sliced mushrooms when we made risotto the other night. We do have the best quiche recipe--so flexible. Everyone always loves it. Even the non-quiche eaters. Not sure where the quiche is headed--to soccer practice with CA? To Central Illinois with CA? For breakfast this a.m.?

My friend says the bitter co-worker at the not-for-profit has already left the premises. Not going to be in today, so no peanut butter bars for her. I seem to have a surplus. What to do????

Today has shaped up to be an interesting one. I take the 9:00am train and meet with my agency at 10:40am, then over to State Street for a brief shopping foray at Macy's. Oh, how we miss Marshall Fields. I meet my sister in front of the ABC TV sidewalk studio and then we walk around the corner and up a bit to South Water Kitchen, a restaurant at 225 N. Wabash. Never been there and it sounds interesting. JL has a luncheon meeting with her financial advisor and I am just along for the outing. There will be desserts!

Tonight I stay at my niece's on N. Broadway and then an early train home to tackle that 10-1/2 hour tape that needs transcribing. I wonder how long it will take. I have transcribed conference calls many times in the past and should be proficient. A bit rusty, but once I am back on the bicycle...

BASIC QUICHE RECIPE

8 or 9" pie shell, unbaked
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
1/2 Cup Milk
1 T. Cornstarch
dash Pepper
1-1/2 Cups Cheese, grated.
I use a blend of cheddar and swiss or Jarlsburg, but the cheddar/Monterey Jack blend works well, too.

Fillings: [about 1 - 1-1/4 cups total]
For this one I used some leftover rotissorie chicken w/ fresh asparagus, fresh sliced mushrooms, and diced sweet onions. I gently sauteed the onions, asparagus, and mushrooms just until tender.

Other options are bacon and green onion; broccoli and ham; hamburger and green onion; red and yellow peppers w/onion and goat cheese. Use your imaginations, or your leftovers! If it is good in pasta or on a pizza, it will be good in a quiche.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes, or until the middle is no longer jiggly.

No comments: