12 September 2008

REMEMBERING

David Foster Wallace hanged himself on September 12th. He was a great writer--strange, but genius. I found his work in my last class before I graduated with a B.A. in Organizational Communication in 1998. He astounded me--scared me a bit, too.

We were using an anthology in the Post Modern Lit class. We were assigned an excerpt from Lyndon. I read it all and kept referring back to the notes to make sure it was fiction! It was so believable. Perverted the truth unforgivably, but the detail! I chose another of his stories for a final paper--Little Expressionless Animals. The story astounded and devastated me. Foster Wallace was only 25 years old when he published this story along with several others in Girl with Curious Hair.

And, I was floored to see he was a professor at ISU in Normal, IL. Funny--normal? How did he fit into that cornfield culture? Whatever did he find to do? Obviously, write!

I need to know more about David Foster Wallace; to read again and more.



No comments: