22 September 2008

SEEING RIGHT THROUGH ME

John C. Reilly

Since seeing the musical Chicago, I have said repeatedly that John C. Reilly's solo, Mister Cellophane, should be the anthem of the middle-aged woman--Ms. Cellophane; because we are invisible. I love it!

How freeing! We no longer have to worry about how we look or what we say or who others think we are. We are no longer pleasers. We are emancipated at last. Free at last. Free at last. Thank God, we are free at last!

Mister [Ms.] Cellophane
If someone stood up in a crowd and raised his voice up way out loud
And waved his arm nd shook his leg You'd notice him
If someone in a movie show yelled "fire in the second row,
This whole place is a powder keg!"
You'd notice him nd even without clucking like a hen .
Everyone gets noticed, now and then,
Unless, of course, that personage should be nvisible, inconsequential me!
Cellophane, Mister Cellophane should have been my name !!!!
Mister cellophane 'cause you can look right through me alk right by me
and never know I'm there!
I tell ya Cellophane Mister Cellophane should have been my name .
Mister cellophane 'cause you can look right through me, walk right by me
and never know I'm there. . .
Suppose you was a little cat residin' in a person's flat who fed you fish and scratched your ears? You'd notice him .
Suppose you was a woman wed, and sleepin' in a double bed beside one man for seven years... You'd notice him .
A human being's made of more than air with all that bulk, you're bound to see him there .
Unless that human bein' next to you is unimpressive, undistinguished you know who. . .
Should have been my name Mister Cellophane 'cause you can look right through me, walk right by me and never know I'm there.
I tell ya Cellophane, Mister Cellophane should have been my name Mister Cellophane
'Cause you can look right through me, walk right by me
and never know I'm there. Never even know I'm there.

No comments: