26 September 2008

DESIGNING WOMAN, part 2


This is my favorite room ever. I want to live in this room. It has everything I need--books, sunlight, peace and quiet, and beauty. I even like her clothes--just wait, they WILL come back in style. I have been on this earth long enough to know for sure that life is a cycle and everything comes around.

This ad is (c) 1994, so I have been holding onto this piece of paper for a long time. The ad is for Waterford crystal, but if pressed I wouldn't have remembered that part. Like the Energizer pink bunny ads-- people that follow advertising stats early on determined that people loved the commercials but had a hard time remembering whether it was Duracell or who. They made some subtle changes to hard-wire the Energizer brand into our brains.

Anyway, I prefer Swarkowski. Because of our Austria connection. I don't own much of either brand. For years I wasn't a crystal-type girl, but that changed. Now I have a few crystal vases and bowls and candlesticks. Our house is now more traditional country rather than straight country. By country I don't mean geese with clothing on my front porch. I always went for the pine primitives and folk art--mostly reproduction.

I got lucky. A good friend who had a wonderfully pristine, primitive country collection decided to retire to Florida. I got first pick. That summer we skipped a vacation and the money was spent on her stuff. No regrets. I may have wandered a bit away from her style, but I still love the stuff in my basement!

No comments: