Began at Ghiradelli Square in San Francisco by
Hungarian immigrants Lazlo and Paulette Fono.
Nostalgia for food is a pretty strong driving force in my life. Whenever anyone talks about crêpes, I reminisce over The Magic Pan. This happened a few weeks ago. I first tried the easy route of Googling for recipes, but came up almost empty-handed. There is some mention of the fact that the Spinach Crêpe was actually Stouffer's Spinach Soufflé. Love that clue.
I managed to also unearth a menu:
1 lb. Ham, ground
1 cup Sour cream
1/2 tsp. Onion powder
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and white pepper
8 - 8" Crêpes
1 cup Milk
Oil for deep frying
- Mix ham, sour cream, eggs, onion powder, Worcestershire, salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill each crêpe as follows:
- Spread filling on 1/2 crêpe, forming a rectangle 6: long and about 1-1/2" wide.
- Fold filled crêpe 1/2 over to the centerline of crêpe, covering filing.
- Roll up, pressing down lightly on edge so that it holds together and is slightly flattened.
- Mix eggs and milk together.
- Dip filled crêpes into egg mixture and let excess drain back.
- Roll each crêpe in cracker meal.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees and fry crêpes until golden, about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Serve with mustard sauce.
4 Egg yolks
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. White pepper
4 tsp. Vinegar
2 cups Salad oil
1 T. Lemon juice
4 T. Mustard
2 T. Honey
- (In blender) Stir together egg yolks; add salt, pepper, and vinegar. Blend thoroughly.
- Pour oil very slowly into egg mixture while blender is on.
- Add lemon juice, mustard, and honey.
- Blend until well mixed.
Potage St. Germain
1 - 1lb. Ham bone
4-1/2 cups Water
2 cups Chicken stock
2 cups Split peas, rinsed
2/3 cup Green onions, finely chopped
1/3 cup Carrots, diced
1/3 cup Celery, diced
1/2 tsp. Sugar
1/8 tsp. Marjoram
1/8 tsp. Pepper
2-1/2 cups Milk
1 cup Whipping cream
3/4 cup Ham, finely diced
1/2 cup Chicken, cooked and finely diced
- Place ham bone in large pot.
- Add water, chicken stock, and peas.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Skim impurities from top.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Add vegetables and seasonings.
- Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until peas are very soft and mixture is thick. About 30-40 minutes.
- Remove ham bone.
- Gradually stir in milk and cream.
- Add diced ham and chicken.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally. About 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings.