Polish Butter Cookies
1 cup Butter
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Almond extract
1 Egg yolk, slightly beaten
2 Hard-cooked Egg yolks, cooled and sieved*
2 cups Flour**
- Beat together softened butter and sugar.
- Mix together beaten egg yolk and flavorings.
- Add seived egg yolks.
- Gradually mix in flour, until forms soft ball.
- Gather dough into ball, wrap with cling film and refrigerate one hour.
- Roll dough to thickness. Cut into small shapes 1-1/2 - 2".
- Bake at for 12 - 15 minutes @350 degrees.
*Press chilled yolks through a fine mesh sieve.
**I used King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour this time, and added a bit of xanthan gum--something I've picked up from the glutenfreegoddess.com
I originally discovered Sarah Leah Chase through her Pedaling Through Provence and Pedaling Through Burgundy books. I envied her adventures and her lifestyle.
This Mary Engelbreit tin is many times the perfect storage container for my homemade cookies. I was fortunate to find it years ago at a bulk foods store in Barrington, IL.