12 January 2015

Polish Butter Cookies





Although, my friend's Polish mother told me she'd never heard of these, I've never doubted their authenticity. I've made these cookies several times in the past years--intrigued by the sieved egg yolks. The original recipe is from Sarah Leah Chase's Cold Weather Cooking.




























Polish Butter Cookies
1 cup Butter
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Almond extract
1 Egg yolk, slightly beaten
2 Hard-cooked Egg yolks, cooled and sieved*
2 cups Flour**

  1. Beat together softened butter and sugar.
  2. Mix together beaten egg yolk and flavorings.
  3. Add seived egg yolks.
  4. Gradually mix in flour, until forms soft ball.
  5. Gather dough into ball, wrap with cling film and refrigerate one hour.
  6. Roll dough to thickness. Cut into small shapes 1-1/2 - 2".
  7. Bake at for 12 - 15 minutes @350 degrees.

*Press chilled yolks through a fine mesh sieve.
**I used King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour this time, and added a bit of xanthan gum--something I've picked up from the glutenfreegoddess.com


I originally discovered Sarah Leah Chase through her Pedaling Through Provence and Pedaling Through Burgundy books. I envied her adventures and her lifestyle.


This Mary Engelbreit tin is many times the perfect storage container for my homemade cookies. I was fortunate to find it years ago at a bulk foods store in Barrington, IL.





No comments: