16 November 2010

TRAVEL READING

When we are in London, we focus on two entertainments--beyond roaming throughout the city and people watching. We always go to the theatre and we always go to bookstores. This time our visit to London was confined to Heathrow, so the theatre was a no-go, but we had plenty of time to book shop.

Because of luggage weight constraints, I brought only three books with me from the U.S.--The Highly Sensitive Child by Elane N. Aron, PhD (for MK as it especially applies to KF), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson. And, CA brought along Pat Conroy's South of Broad, which I will also enjoy.

The book shops in Heathrow gave us a chance to add to our supply without having to pay for excess baggage, and while there's plenty of current U.S. bestsellers on supply we also get the chance to discover new authors and unfamiliar British fiction.

This time, I find:

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
The Paris Vendetta by Steve Berry
A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks
A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly

In just six days, I've finished The Girl with the Dragon Tatto, A Week in December, A Gathering Light and have begun The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Whoops.... I'm gonna need some reinforcements. Hopefully, there'll be an English language book store in Nice.

In the meantime, I've searched out a crossword puzzle website, and while I'm doing the easy stuff, I'll probably have plenty of time to progress to some more challenging stuff.

No comments: