19 October 2008

SUZERAINTY

A new word. Elizabeth George uses in the Inspector Lynley mystery, In the Presence of the Enemy.

suzerainty: A noun; from the French. Means overlordship. Try working this one into conversation.

I am going to have to keep a dictionary just next to me when I read--especially if I continue with these English/Scottish authors. Somehow I believe the U.K. education includes a better vocabulary than what we get in the U.S. Although ex-pat Andalucia blogger Andrew Forbes claims he grew up in England without a clue about the rules of grammar, thus hindering his initial attempts to become fluent in Spanish.

We are counting down the days until our trip to Central Europe and then the south of France, coast of Spain, and Paris. We are learning so much from the blogs of others. I love the Internet!

No comments: