01 October 2008

GARDENING--OUCH!!


I could barely walk down the steps this morning... Who knew gardening was such great exercise? It poured rain all morning and was fantastic. I love rain. Gave us a good excuse to loll around and drink coffee--still left the house by 9:30am

We headed back to Romence Gardens and bought gorgeous mum plants that were huge and only $5.49. And, we got beautiful coral bells, both peach flambe and southern comfort; remember me hosta, tall grasses, lots of tulip and narcissus bulbs.

JA had a hairdresser's appointment at 11:00am, so I dropped her off and headed to Hobby Lobby--striking out on finding the fabric and flower pik I had on my list. Marshall's was next door and I found the Michael Kors winter coat in the right size that I had spotted on a previous Michigan trip. Slipped in one more perfect gift for my little squishy guy.

Exhausted by the time we reached home and the rains were letting up. Couldn't move without a short nap. Just as I was rousing myself, JA called upstairs that she was late for a coffee date with a new friend. I made phone calls laying in bed, thinking JA had driven off with all the nursery goods. Finally I wandered downstairs and found that she had off-loaded everything before hurrying off. No more excuses.

While Tom Sawyer was gone, I raked the soil by the road and mailbox and planted the lovely 3 tall grass plants. JA arrived home in time to seed the spot that was corrupted when she had 3 yards of topsoil dumped earlier in September. Then we moved on down the huge hill to the lake and laid out the perennials in front of her newly raised beds--remember me hosta alternating with the dark red coral bells. Next fall they will have spread, and we will divide and conquer and fill in on the sides of the beds. Between the beds we planted four huge mums--white, dark red, yellow/orange, and purple. The fall leaf-like southern comfort coral bells went in the front right corner of one bed. We moved some black-eyed susans into the other bed, and some sedum into the rear corners. Lots of room for more plants. JA plans to consult with our horticulturist brother PL this weekend to get recommendations for moving forward.

I gave up the ghost and went in for a shower while JA talked with a neighbor and did some show-and-tell. She stayed outside and worked past dark. Then, we whipped up the Chicken Picata and some angel hair pasta, along with a zucchini/yellow squash casserole JA had stashed in the frig previously. Quite the meal!

Actually got to bed before midnight, although JA banged around and organized long after I turned in. CA and I will go again to Michigan in two weeks to plant some more.

We were on the road by 11:00am Michigan time and drove through rain much of the way through Indiana and Chicago. I had a 3:30pm appointment in our village which we handily made, even stopping once along the way to deliver a huge mum to a friend. After the appt. we treated ourselves to a gelato a Bella's and headed home to collapse. It is good to be home.

JA headed on toward her class reunion and I had one of my own with work colleagues from the past. Such a fun luncheon. We need to do this more often. I was relationally and physically exhausted from my week, but filled with good thoughts, deeds, and memories. Life is good!

No comments: