05 August 2014

Avocado, Tomatoes, and Hearts of Palm

 

Recently, I've been thinking about a salad we made several times a few years ago. We'd heard John Delucie of the Waverly Inn in NYC talking on a Mario Bosquez segment, when Martha Srewart had a Sirius Radio channel.

John said he likes to have this salad served to him every day just as dinner service is kicking into gear:

 

Avocado Salad at the Waverly Inn

 

AVOCADO, TOMATOES, AND HEARTS OF PALM SALAD

Beef steak tomatoes, thinly sliced

Hearts of palm

Red onion, sliced and soaked briefly in ice water

Haas avocado, sliced

Sprinkled with fresh lime juice and extra virgin olive oil and topped with some chopped fresh cilantro leaves.

Salt and pepper, to taste

 

Today, I decided to chunk the veggies, and I think I like it better this way. Soaking raw onions in iced water prior to adding to and salad or sandwich yields a spectacularly fresh and crunchy result. Worth the effort.

 

I just downloaded John Delucie's The Hunger: A Story of Food, Desire, and Ambition to my iPad Amazon Cloud Reader app.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: