20 April 2011

TIRE EATER: Life Happens.





It's a perfect day as I drive to the airport to pick-up a friend. RvH flies back to Chicago O'Hare today from visiting friends in Northern Virginia. Our timing is perfect, and we're very happy to be together. As we exit the terminal area, checking the Interstate signs for the proper entrance onto I-90 West to Rockford, I glance down at the road just in time to see a huge rectangular cut-out on the pavement--less a pothole than a deep well. Just in time to see the pothole, but alas not in time to avoid hitting it square-on. I immediately say, "That one did some damage!"

We pull off the highway at the earliest opportunity so I can check the tire--almost flat--and then the BMW owner's manual which tells me if I stay under 50 mph I can drive up to 90 miles. This info both puzzles and assures me--but I still pull into a Shell Service Station just two blocks further west. As I open the trunk to access the spare the mechanic begins removing the damaged tire...

There's no spare! I've been robbed! The mechanic quickly explains that I have "run-flat" tires which prevent blowouts, but cannot be repaired. I also have a damaged wheel. Thanks Chicago Airport Authority. Another victim of bad road maintenance. This one is definitely personal.

After consulting with our BMW dealer's service manager, we drive very carefully another 10 - 15 minutes to Patrick BMW in Schaumburg. I was told by the Crystal Lake dealer that, "No one here wants you to drive 35 miles with a damaged wheel and tire."

RvH and I take it all in stride, as the lovely people at Patrick take such good care of us--assessing the damage, consulting with our insurance carrier, and driving to RvH's as a new wheel has to be ordered for tomorrow.

CA will come this evening to pick me up (after his soccer practice and French lesson) so we take the time to find a cafe (the Panera variety) near RvH's home, and enjoy a leisurely snack and conversational catch-up.

Life happens, and the good news is the airbags did not deploy. No one was injured, and we're safe and comfortable. If you have to experience this kind of inconvenience and expense, it's perfect to experience it along with your best friend.

That's what friends are for...

No comments: