U.S. SENATE BEAN SOUP
[served daily(?) in the U.S. Senate Cafeteria]
1 lb White beans
3 quarts Water
1 cup Potatoes, cooked and mashed
3 onions, finely chopped
4 - 6 stalks Celery, finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
1. Soak white beans overnight in cold water, covered.
2. Drain beans.
3. Place ham bone, beans, and 3 quarts of water in a large soup pot; bring to a boil; and simmer for 2 hours.
4. Stir in mashed potatoes and remaining vegetables, except parsley.
5. Simmer the soup for 1 hour longer, until beans are thoroughly cooked.
6. Remove the ham bone; dice the meat; and return the meat to the soup.
7. Garnish with parsley.