18 May 2009

COOKING WITH GUINNESS, TWO GUYS


I loved reading this recipe exchange between CA and our friend SN1, who traveled with us in France last December.

On May 18, 2009, at 10:58 AM, CA wrote:

Steve

Here is an idea of what I did with the beef stew since I only used a recipe as a guide and I didn't have all the ingredients. I browned the meat cubes (maybe 2.5 lbs) in a dutch oven with olive oil (maybe 8 minutes), season with salt and pepper. Take out the meat and set it aside on a plate. Reduce heat to medium and add vegetables (carrots, celery, onions, garlic but not potatoes yet), stirring occasionally until well browned (about 10-12 min). Push vegetables to the side and stir in 3 TB tomato paste and balsamic vinegar (must be balsamic) about 2 min. Then mix tomato paste with veggies. Stir in 1 can (about 15 oz) of Guinness with bay leaf and thyme (which I didn't have) and boil until liquid is reduced to about 2/3 (approx 10-12 min). Add the beef with juices along with beef broth and some water to cover ingredients and bring to simmer. Cover either in oven at 350 or on stove (which I did) until beef is very tender (about 2 hours) with a tight fitting lid. After about 1 hour add small potatoes with skins cut to same size as beef cubes. When done make sure potatoes and carrots are tender. The inspiration to try this was from a book, Mediterranean Summer, I have been reading about a chef on a yacht cruising along the French and Italian Riviera for a summer. He would go to the markets to select items which would tell him what he would make that day or weekend. I am sure you could visualize this activity just like I could.

Chris


SN1 replied:

Thanks Chris. I'm looking forward to trying this. When you described it last night my mouth was watering. It was good to see you again last night
Steve


Chris,
I forgot to ask you, how much beef broth did you use? 1 cube dissolved?
Thanks,
Steve

No comments: