02 February 2011

POTATO RICER



I don't often prepare mashed potatoes, but when I do I definitely prefer ricing rather than mashing.


My ricer definitely came from Crate and Barrel, but the one currently on offer is partially stainless steel. Being the food-gadget snob that I am, I wish mine was stainless... The one I purchased for JE is completely stainless.


I generally find multiple uses for any gadget but so far I've never used my ricer for anything other than potatoes. If I stretch my imagination a bit, I could envision using the ricer to puree carrots for my cream of carrot soup. And, for squash of any kind. I like my guacamole chunky, but if you prefer yours smooth, use a ricer to accomplish that.

This is a rather clunky gadget and you might think it too bulky and its uses too limited to dedicate storage space, but if you are a mashed potato aficionado, you definitely need a ricer.

One of my favorite stories of JE was when she told us she loved eating at Heather's house because their potatoes had these really good lumps in them. And, this was long before lumpy mashed potatoes were au courant.

2 comments:

agus said...

Dear
very nice tools,how do I buy !
Thank

Marielle said...

Williams Sonoma; TJ Maxx, Target, Home Goods