01 July 2009

LIVING SLOWER



Plenty of down time so far this week, and again reading a book a day.

What's attracting my attention today is the crab apple tree just outside the windows of our library (Where our t.v. resides! There are also books...).
I choose the large cushy chair in the library for my morning read as the throw pillow positioned just-so fit perfectly to support my slightly touchy low back, and the lighting is good.

I kept catching movement in my peripheral vision, and couldn't decide first if it was street traffic (we live on a quiet cul-de-sac) or just leaves fluttering. I finally caught a view of a bird flitting from branch to branch in the crab apple tree just outside the window, and decided that I would enjoy seeing what was up.

It appears that these robins pluck and eat, or at least deposit in their innards, up to three of these miniature crab apples at a time and then fly off over our garage roof. They have been doing this repeatedly for several hours. I am imagining that they deposit them somewhere safe to dry for winter food. Will they continue until this three is picked clean? I have observed three or four birds, but mostly there is just one or two at a time.

So... This has probably been going on for the seven summers we have lived in this house and I never noticed. Of course, much of that time I had a job that kept me away from home most days. The real truth is that oftentimes I don't notice the little things. I am learning to sit quietly on the back screened porch and listen to the small and not-so-small animal movements in the woods behind. We know there are deer because they eat our hostas and small perennials.

I read one time that if land is left to its own devices, it will return to its natural state in just two years time. This area was wooded and marshy forever until this past decade when a portion of the woods surrounding Dufield Pond was protected as a nature preserve, and developers were allowed to build this community of townhouse/villas on the drier spots.

We are fortunate to live in such a beautiful spot, and I am learning to appreciate the survival tactics of the remaining wildlife.

No comments: