17 January 2009

REPATRIATING


Where has the time gone?

We travel home in a fog--CA with his acute bronchitis, and me with the icky-achey start of a sinus infection which lands, once again, in the back of my head and especially my ears. I pop ibuprofen all the way home and spray my throat with the Slovak-miracle spray MP procured for me from the Lekaren in Avion. Amazingly, both flights arrive earlier than scheduled and we opt for the more expensive, but worth it, limo ride home.

Ah-h-h... Home, sweet home, where even the door knobs feel good--an in-family reference to DM's first visit home his freshman year at the University of Virginia. He was so-so homesick, he commented that, "Even the door knobs feel great."

CA has pre-scheduled a doctor visit to reconfirm his acute bronchitis diagnosis, and gets a Rx for more codeine-based cough medicine and the prediction that healing will take some time.

I spend my days unpacking and sorting through and resting and trying to recover from my illness. On the Monday after we return my agency calls with an assignment and I realize I need to get some drugs so that I can get over this! I can kill two birds with one stone as I need to have the doctor look at these hives--or whatever they are--that arrive home shortly after I do. He agrees with my sinus infection self-diagnosis and disagrees about the hives. Says I have dermatitis, which I realize is generic for non-specific irritated skin. There is no likely place to pin the irritation, so he prescribes a skin cream and a Z-pak for the sinuses. I love his new offices and he seems happier there on his own in a fun location.

What a cold week we are having. A couple of degrees below zero on Wednesday, my first day in the City, then -13 on Thursday early a.m. and -22 on Friday. I am learning to bundle up. It is freaking cold, but the sun shines and the City glows. I love the energy and atmosphere of working in the City.

Another dead-end job with nothing to do. Why do they insist on hiring a temp when there is no work? This group has had a parade of temps for almost two months and a bad EA prior to that. With a couple of notable exceptions, they don't even try to introduce themselves. By Thursday night I hatch a plan--I bake Monster (peanutbutter-chocolate chip) cookies to take to work on Friday. They love them and warm up considerably. A new full-time person will start here on Tuesday, and I will move down the row to fill in for another EA for a week. Same work, same people. Just a different desk. I have promised them Kahlua brownies for next week.

1 comment:

Karin said...

I'm just glad you're back & we're having good girl chats again! And, kaluha brownies are bound to win over even the staunchest of heart!