02 January 2009

REFLECTING ON 2008


I'm a ruminator by nature, but don't usually start the new year intentionally reviewing the past year. There are lots of best of 2008 lists right now in the blogosphere, and I have fallen into reflection...
  • I realized, clearly, in early 2008 that I didn't want to be tied down to a full-time job again, so I researched and organized and began marketing my experience and skill set to the top temp agencies in Chicago and the suburbs. By the end of the first 9-week stint I knew that I had no interest in suburban jobs. There is an energy and vitality to working in the City that feels right. The train is just 5 minutes from home and the trip into and out of Chicago gives me time to read, rest, and organize my thoughts. It seems to work best if CA and I are on alternate schedules for work commitments. That way one of us is available to maintain the homefront and accomplish the errands and chores. And, we each get a chance to have the house to ourselves.
  • KF was born in Austria in mid-January and by the first week of February we were in Bratislava. Contract work allows us to choose when we want to work and gives us the freedom to travel to our children and grandchildren.
  • A canceled flight left me in London and gave me the opportunity to spend three nights exploring and enjoying on my own.
  • CA's mom turned 80 at the end of April, and on May 17th family and friends gathered for a celebration. We had just the party she requested, and she was very pleased with all the special touches. We had yummy cakes from Hansen's Le Bakery in Peoria, mixed nuts from Ricci's in Chicago, punch and coffee. Several of us collaborated on arranging the flowers--roses in a variety of colors. We also had a special Dora the Explorer table for LG as the 17th was her third birthday.
  • We made several trips to Omaha to see JE's family, and they flew in to stay with us a few times.
  • CA began planning our big trip in early summer, spending hours and days researching and scheduling.
  • We spent some time in Michigan in late summer and early fall.
  • We tried new restaurants in Chicago and saw a couple plays.
  • Spent a lot of time enjoying our home and the screened porch.
  • Read tons of books and began this blog.
  • We entertained friends and family throughout the year, cooking special meals and favorite desserts.
  • CA went to a bunch of wine tastings--sometimes with me and as often as possible with the kids.
  • He continued coaching soccer two seasons.
  • I purchased a sewing machine and got creative with a couple of projects.
  • Lots of lunches and early dinners with girlfriends. Why does everything always center around food?
  • Left the U.S. on November 22nd for our 6+ week European itinerary: Bratislava-Provence-Andalucia-Paris-Bratislava.

A happy and healthy year. Lots of normal days, and oh how we appreciate a normal day! Two trips to Europe to see the little girls and lots of trips to and from Omaha to play with our squishy little guy. 2008 was a great year for our family and we are looking forward to a wonderful 2009--especially March when we welcome our new baby girl.

No comments: