21 January 2009

PAUSING


Not that anybody noticed I had gone missing from my blogs... An enduring sinus infection shut down my right brain--where the creative juices live--and all that remains is focused on surviving each day as we resettle into our normal routine. I think that's an oxymoron?! And, I took a work assignment that was supposed to be 3 days last week and 2 this, but has extended to four...

Shouldn't really complain about down-time at work with nothing to do, since I have time to reconcile my bank and credit card accounts. I am starting the New Year with a plan that focuses on an Excel spreadsheet and minimizes the number of times I have to touch those nasty little bank and credit receipts.

Have you ever wondered why receipts come in so many different sizes and shapes and no one has ever managed to standardize? And, finding the date is akin to looking for Waldo! Proof: I have an over-active left brain intent on organizing the world because my right brain is fogged-out! But, really, most of our current receipts are from Europe, so don't get me started on what is entailed in trying to sort through and remember what is what. To add further to the confusion, the exchange rate for the Euro and SK Koruna fluctuated dramatically while we were traveling...

Met another executive assistant from my agency today--really sharp. Worthy competition. Young, tanned, and beautiful... So, really no competition. She would win in a landslide! The good news is that she is temporarily a temp as she gets her business restarted in Chicago having just moved back from warmer climes. After all, I was off galivanting in Europe when she joined up, so I should have no complaints about missed job opportunities.

I am hoping to have just a week or so off. The goal would be a four to six-week assignment, but I would sign-on for longer if the pay is right. I did some research yesterday and did, indeed, confirm that executive assistants get about $5.00/hour more in the suburbs than in the City. Boggles my mind--very counter-intuitive.

1 comment:

Karin said...

I noticed! Keep writing!