14 September 2016

Santa Fe, Day 3



Today, we headed to Tesuque for breakfast at Tesuque Village Market. Happily, Tesuque Market is just as rag-tag and unassuming in appearance as it's ever been. I've been to Santa Fe 6 times and except for one visit that was just a daytrip, I've always made sure to drive the 10 minutes north of Santa Fe to Tesuque. The food is outstanding, and they sell freshly-baked pies and pastries.

CA and I both choose the Farmer's Breakfast--eggs scrambled with tomatoes, fresh spinach, roasted garlic, and goat cheese; served with crispy, oven-roasted red potatoes. Very good.

I'm not sure we've ever been able to squeeze in three meals/day during any vacation. We definitely can't here. Each meal is so good and satisfying, I haven't even been craving sweets or chocolate. Twice, I've actually been in the candy aisle and walked away. Surreal.

We spend the afternoon walking Canyon Road, appreciating the Santa Fe architecture and the full-on artistic vibe that is Canyon Road. Every step, every gallery, courtyard, and shop exudes artistic talent. Santa Fe artists are serious artisans. Many of these galleries and shops have been here forever. Many I recognize from my first visit 18 years ago.





We wander to St. Francis Cathedral and after spending some time inside admiring the lovely stained glass and icons, I decide to walk my first-ever Labyrinth. We've visited Chartes and Roen cathedrals, but for whatever reason I never walked the Labyrinth. 








It was amazing. Really. I was the only person doing so and I really let myself into the present moments. And, I walked away with some vital insights. Life mirrors the Labyrinth--forward/double-back/forward/across/back/way back/forward/double-back/forward... 

After a bit of rest at the casita, and discussion regarding dinner, we dine at Il Vicino for wood oven pizza. I think I've eaten there at least once every visit, sometimes twice. It's casual; you place your order at the front counter. If the weather were different we'd eat on the terrace, but tonight it's cozier in the dining room.


-source of these 2 photos-

CA orders the #10 (with chicken added)--fresh basil pesto, mozzarella, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, fresh basil. The crust is perfect; medium-thin, soft-centered, wood-oven baked. I ask for the #15, but as I'm deciding on a salad the counter guy points out that they offer a combo deal--small pizza of your choice along with a 1/2 entree salad, and beverage. Yep. That's for me.

My Fino pizza has chicken sausage, marinara, mozzarella, blended goat cheese, oven roasted tomatoes, and fresh oregano. A very delicious and appropriately-sized pizza leaves room for a frehly-prepared Isalata Cesare.

We cannot stop commenting on how good the pizza was. Memorable.

Tomorrow we drive back to Fort Collins for time again with family. We're going ice skating in Denver with JF, doing a bit of shopping, and preparing a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Lots of Fun Kids time. Great memory building.



No comments: