Seems I've been holding out on my readers... The VERY BEST pound cake ever conceived has never appeared on this blog. I've been making it forever--a recipe discovered (somewhere) by my good friend BB. I get very self-conscious when asked for the recipe, because this, my readers, is a heart attack on a plate.
Whipping Cream Pound Cake
12 oz. Butter, the real stuff
3 cups Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 cups Cake flour
Tiny pinch of salt (unless using salted butter)
1 cup Whipping cream, not beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease tube or Bundt pan with butter; dust with sugar.
2. With mixer, beat together butter and sugar until very smooth.
3. Add vanilla and eggs; beat until smooth.
4. Gradually (1/2 cup at a time) add flour, alternately with whipping cream. Beat until smooth and light--scraping sides.
5. Place on shelf just lower than middle of oven.
6. Bake for 1 hour, or until you smell the lusciousness, and a bamboo tester comes out clean. Do not over-bake.
We're having strawberry shortcake tonight, using locally-grown berries. And, I'm (finally) making the first jam of the summer.