05 May 2008

REVIVING CULINARY MEMORIES

My mother had a few specialties that were her culinary claim to fame. She made great hamburgers, delicious fried chicken, and the best potato salad. There were 8 of us, so she aimed for quantity and simplicity most of the time.

I have always hated making potato salad, although I have also always known that mom's recipe is the best! For some random reason I have been fixated on making her potato salad with homemade mayonnaise [she used Miracle Whip!].

As I assembled the ingredients yesterday, I tried to analyze why I hate making it. I normally love all the chopping of fresh vegetables for various recipes and the way the flavors meld together. I think it is the hot, pasty potatoes that drive me bonkers. I used Yukon Gold and boiled them with skins on. Of course I could not wait for them to cool before needing to peel them, so it hurt! Just today I read somewhere that I should refrigerate the potatoes to keep them from crumbling, and I know that would take care of the pasty mess on my hands, let alone the burns!

The homemade mayo does put this over the top! Here is mom's recipe--roughly:

Amy's Potato Salad
4 lbs Yukon Gold or waxy potatoes, boiled, chilled, peeled, and 1" dice
1 bunch Celery, sliced thinly
1 large Sweet onion, diced
8 large Eggs, boiled, peeled, and diced
2 - 2-1/2 C Mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper to taste
On-call cardiac surgeon, because this dish is heart attack on a plate.

Assemble and refrigerate until chilled through. Yum!

No comments: