20 April 2016

Donna Hay's Red Velvet Cheesecake


Since I took liberties with Donna Hay's recipe, I want to capture those changes here.

My version.

Red Velvet Cheesecake
Line your springform pan with a parchment circle. I sprayed the springform bottom with Pam to help the parchment adhere.

I took a shortcut with the crust and bought an Oreo crust from the baking aisle, but poured the crumbs into an 8" springform pan and pressed it into the bottom and sides.

Filling:
1-1/2 8 oz. pkgs. Cream cheese
1-1/4 Cups Ricotta cheese
3/4 Cup Sugar
3 Eggs
1-1/2 tsp Vanilla
150g Good quality dark chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
Red food coloring paste (You decide how red you want it.)
Dutch-process Cocoa for dusting (Trader Joe's)


1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. In large mixing bowl or food processor, beat together cream cheese, ricotta, and sugar for 2-3 minutes until smooth--often scraping sides of bowl.
3. Add eggs and vanilla; beat a further minute.
4. Add cooled, melted chocolate and food coloring until well-combined.
5. Pour over Oreo cookie crust.
6. Place a shallow pan of water on lower oven shelf (keeps cheesecake from cracking).
7. Bake in center of oven for about 1 hour, keeping watch. You want the cheesecake to look solid, with about a half-dollar center spot still appearing wet.
8. Cool completely, then refrigerate 4 hours or overnight until well-chilled.
9. Dust with Dutch-process Cocoa before serving.

Years ago, I first visited Santa Fe with my sister JA. Luckily we did two brilliant things--we took a walking tour of the historic area and we took a class at the Santa Fe School of Cooking. Then, I visited with my friend LL and took a Southwest breakfast class which included a recipe for fresh fruit with a Tequila syrup--a simple syrup with Tequila added. I've now simplified that and cut a few calories by using 3 parts Agave syrup to 1 part Tequila. Just a splash really perks up and glazes the fresh fruit.


No comments: