17 December 2008

MAKING VANILLA


Exploring on my own this afternoon, I follow a tip from Clotilde on her Chocolate & Zucchini blog--searching out her Magic Baker Store, the tiny shop G. Detou at 58 rue Tiquetonne 75002 Paris (01 42 36 54 67). I get close, but somehow keep missing rue Tiquetonne, checking and rechecking my map. So pleased that I persevere as it is another charming Parisienne experience.

Under strict orders [actually a legitimatly pragmatic and practical request due to baggage limitations and all our DPAM shopping for the little ones] I know I cannot buy much. I find vanilla beans far more interesting than I have seen in the states and also a bouquet of salt caramel suckers just right for the Christmas stockings waiting to be stuffed in Bratislava.

I plan to share the vanilla beans with MK--immersing them in vodka and stowing them under her stairs in a dark and cool place until in a magic four weeks she will find 1/2 litre of perfect vanilla for all her baking needs.

No comments: