23 August 2008

CRAVINGS...

Weight Watchers taught me that certain foods for certain people are red-light foods. Be safe; obey the dietary rules. Red means stop, yellow means wait even if you're late, and green means go (or more contemporarily eco-friendly).

My A #1 red-light food would contain peanutbutter and chocolate. I cannot stop once I start whether it is Reese's Big Cups, Haagen Daz peanutbutter-chocolate, Ben & Jerry's peanutbutter cup... You get the picture.

These bars are so frightenly simple using ingredients I always have in my pantry. Only make them when you can share them. Or conversely, only make them when no one is home and you don't have to share. The recipe was passed to me by long-time friend and co-worker Sue Krause.

PEANUT BUTTER CUPS/BARS
1-1/3 Cups Graham cracker crumbs, fine
8 oz. Butter, melted
1 lb. Powdered sugar
1 Cup Peanut butter
16 oz. Hershey's chocolate bar, melted - or chocolate chips
2 tsp. Butter

1. Mix together butter, powdered sugar, peanut butter, and
graham cracker crumbs.
2. Press into a 9 x 12 inch baking pan.
3. Melt chocolate with butter in microwave or in a double boiler, taking care to not let any moisture get into chocolate, or the mixture with congeal.
4. Refrigerate until set; cut into small squares.
5. Keep covered in refrigerator until serving.

I sometimes use an 8x8 or 9x9 pan to make thicker bars.

No comments: