20 August 2011

FOODIE FEVER



So... The trip to the farmers' market and my discussions with the two enchilada loving strangers piggy-back onto the homegrown tomatoes H+DS brought to us Thursday, producing last night's over-the-top fresh salsa (pico de gallo) and tonight's enchilada dinner. The 6 enchiladas I got at today's market fit snuggly into a square Pyrex dish. I covered the dish loosely and microwave them for 10 minutes, then sprinkle some shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese on top, then nuke for 2 more minutes.


I finely chop some lovely tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño chilis for pico de gallo, squeezing 1/2 a lime over the top along with a bit of salt and chili oil. Marvelous. We shred some lettuce and stir the sour cream--we're ready to assemble and indulge. Yum! JA and LE gobble theirs with great gusto, as do the three adults. Half-way through dinner, I remember I'd meant to prepare some guacamole as another condiment. Next time...

We also enjoy a yellow summer squash (from a friend), sliced, then sautéed in olive oil with garlic, onions, and a couple dashes of thyme.


And, for dessert there's a small early birthday cake JA and I selected at Whole Foods this afternoon--it has white icing and pink and orange sprinkles. I'm angling for another cake--layered this time. I've explained to CA that we'll practically drive by Whole Foods on our way home from O'Hare on Monday evening.

No comments: